Monday, June 22, 2015

From My Mom

I have been having so much fun with flowers this year, and it's all because of two of my favorite people: my Husband and my Mom.


My Mother, among the many wonderful things she did for her children, always encouraged and facilitated the Trying of New Things. If we had an interest, she was ready to help us pursue it. And she loved to introduce us to new experiences!


(Peonies, iris, daisies, forget-me-not, something that looks like lacecap hydrangea, and vine-y weeds, all gathered from the yard while visiting my Mom.)


I don't know if I ever would have thought of flower arranging as something I could do, had my Mom not set up a class for myself and some friends. It was just a one time class when I was about 13, very basic and the flowers were nothing fancy - daisy, carnations, ferns.


 But it was so fun and satisfying, and it moved flower arranging from the mental category of "something florists do" to "something I can do." Isn't it funny, how we categorize things in our minds like that?


Thanks, Mom, for opening up so many possibilities (and for letting me play with your flowers)!

No comments:

Post a Comment